Monday, July 03, 2006

Birthday Workout

On July 2nd 1958 my mother gave birth to an 8 lb 11 oz. boy. On July 2nd 2006 that boy weighs in at 180.5 pounds. A whole lot of things have happened in 48 years. This planet and my world has changed in so may ways. As I look back and examine my choices along the way, it amazes me how lucky I am. There were thousands of options at various points in my life. I could have very easily lived in New England, got married at an early age, had three kids and worked for my Dad. That could have been a great life. Instead, I choose to go west in 1980. A phone call from a high school buddy changed my life forever. Living in California turned me into a fitness freak. The last 22 years of my life have been dedicated to finding ways to feel good, stay healthy and improve my fitness. Beachbody gave me the opportunity to share my journey with this awesome community.

It just so happens that my birthday this year falls on a Sunday. Every Sunday morning between 9:30 A M and noon some of my closest friends and I head down to the original Muscle Beach south of the pier.

Our two and a half hour workout is loaded with all kinds of gymnastic-like activities. This weekly routine has gone beyond basic pull-ups and push-ups. The Gaylord brothers Mitch & Chuck (Chuck, a nine time all American & Mitch, a gold medal winner in 84) have turned our workout upside down.

As a group we have proven that the human body is capable of amazing things at any age.


As the senior member of The Sunday Bunch I can tell you that hard work, time & patience is the magic potion for success and improvement. At 48 I'm fitter, stronger and more flexible than I was at 38, 28 or 18. It has been a long and mind altering journey. Not every step was easy, but each step has been worth it.

Health and fitness has been the fountain of youth for me, and many of you have discovered the same thing. As you make your way through life don't be afraid to open new doors and try new things. Stay curious, push the envelope, test the waters and trust that your choices will change your life for the better. If it can work for me, it will work for you. If you'd like to learn & experience how to live a healthy lifestyle then I invite you to join me at one or more of my fitness camps this year. Our Miami camp was a blast! You have three more opportunities in 06. New York in July from the 14th thru the 16th. LA in August from 11th through the 13th.And Chicago in September from the 15th thru the 17th. Everyone is invited regardless of fitness level; everyone goes at their own pace and everyone gets to share in the camaraderie, fun and laughter.



13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Tony! Words of wisdom - that is what I have to say about your blog. I can only hope to be as fit as you when I'm 48! I see my family around me who is nowhere near that level of fitness and I know I want something different for myself as I get older. Even though I have found Beachbody at a rather young age, I plan to use the things I have learned from following you and your programs for the rest of my life. Thank you for your dedication to fitness and for changing the lives of so many individuals through your amazing workouts and enthusiasm. Here's to 48 more years Tony!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Tony!! It's fun to watch the beach workout. One day I will do a lever pull-up. It might take me til I'm 48 to get it...but I will!! I've been BRINGING it working out every day except Fridays since I last saw you. I must have pulled something because when I raise my right arm I still feel quite sore. It's getting better and I'm staying with 3 lb weights until it is all the way better. I'll move up to 5's and maybe just maybe I'll be up to 8's by the time LA camp rolls around next month ;)

Happy 4th of July too!!

irish_robbie said...

HAPPT BELATED BIRTHDAY TONY!!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday Tony!!! My daughter's birthday was yesterday, the 4th! She's 16. I totally agree with you. Even though I haven't reached my goal weight (yet), and I'm still a little pudgy, I do feel stronger and able to do more physically than I have since my childhood, I've never had a bicep or tricep muscle in my life, but that's all changing now at age 40! People are noticing and saying, "look at that muscle!!!" It's great!

Can't wait to thank you in person this Sept. in Chicago!!! I'm so excited (and nervous).

Lori J
Ontario, Canada

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TONY! Thanks for showing me a new way to live and it couldn't come at a better time at 50! I look forward to seeing you in Chicago and since I live nearby I shouldn't have any excuses for not making it! Many many happy returns! :)

John Lawson
Oak Park, IL

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday TONY!

I want to thank you for taking away my daily pain, working out with you every morning is such a joy... I can't wait till I someday get to do it in person with you at one of the camps... hope you are plainng on coming to TX again soon.

At the young age of 36 I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) and have now been batteling this for the past 3 years. Today with the additional help of daily exercise I'm able to live pain free, I feel better than ever, even before I got RA. I feel like I can finally be the person I was meant to be.... THANK YOU! :)

Doris

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Tony! Thanks for all the wonderful and effective workouts :) I hope you continue to give us new workouts. How about a 60 minute Cardio Bootcamp, a 60 minute kickbutt kickboxing and another 60 minute PlyoX 2? I hope your next workouts have shorter warm-ups/stretch and cool-downs...I find that in the Power 90 Master Series, although each workout is 45 minutes - almost 16 minutes is devoted to warm-up and cool-down, yoga is around 5 minutes...so the workout itself is just 25-30 minutes. I think a 4 minute warm-up and cool-down is enough. It would be nice to have cardio workouts that are 45 minutes excluding warm-up and cool-down. Hopefully next time?!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AGAIN TONY!!!! We are back from our California adventure!! What an awesome time it was to see you workin out with your buds on your birthday in Santa Monica!!!! We had such a GREAT time hangin out with you! YOU ARE THE BEST, FORGET THE REST!!!!!!
PEACE OUT!!!!
Greg & LeeAnn Steel

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY HANDSOME! Remember last year's party in New York! Sorry I'll miss it this year but consider yourself hugged!!

Dianne (Dance10)

Anonymous said...

Tony, HAPPY BELATED BDAY, and here's to many more! (You've made 48 the new 38!) I grew up much the same way you did: not caring about my health, or the that i shoveled into my body...I was always the bigboned girl, the bandie, not athletic...thank you for changing my perspective! I saw myself becoming obese and with diabetes by age 35 (I'm 24 now)...but with your help, the last 30 days has altered my destructive ways! I feel great, and I'll keep it up! Here's to the former chubby kids!
Happy BDAY again, Tony!

psyknife said...

A belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you!
I WILL see you in Chicago (I just wish they'd post the darned registration for it)... and I'll have Briggsy Baby in tow! :-D

TuxBaby said...

Happy Belated Birthday to you, Tony!!! You share the same birthday as my oldest brother, although he is just one year younger. But you are MUCH more fit (and look MUCH younger) than my brother!

All your workouts rock... and YOU ROCK!! Here's to another 48 years!

~TuxB

Anonymous said...

I'm a day late and a dollar short! Happy VERY Belated Birthday!

I'm jealous! You know the Gaylord boyz! I LOVED Mitch! Heck I still do!